Sunday, August 17, 2014

The fly in the ointment of Assault on Arkham

After having watched my Assault on Arkham DVD a couple more times since buying it on Thursday there's one glaring thing about the story that bothers me. During the mission briefing Waller tells The Squad to keep the "body count to a minimum". I'm sorry but even Waller at her worst would never authorize The Squad to use lethal force to any degree on the staff of Arkham Asylum.
Would Waller kill a disobedient member of The Squad to make an example of them in order to keep the rest of them in line? . . sure. Would she send The Squad to assassinate some manner of criminal? . . .sure. All that falls in line with a "greater good" kinda rationale she often operates on. But condoning the deaths of civilians is something I think is out of character for The Wall. All those people who work at Arkham are basically federal employees working at a facility serving a branch of law enforcement.
Now keep in mind I'm not trying to be "that guy" or otherwise trying to discourage you from seeing this. That over sight aside this was still a really well produced and entertaining movie that is clearly not aimed at a pre-teen crowd thank God. And unlike in Arrow or Smallville for that matter The Suicide Squad as a team and as individual characters really get a chance to shine. Now if we can get an animated DC feature sending Task Force X after some terrorists like ISIS then I could die a happy man.

10 comments:

  1. See- I still saw it as a "greater-good" scenario based on what The Riddler actually had/knew vs. how good Arkham security MUST be to; keep the level of villains incarcerated there- THERE, as mush as they do...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the Waller I know from the comics I've read her in would never have been ok with all the prison guards and support staff that The Squad killed during their mission. even in the New 52 there was an early issue in which The Squad had to break Harley out of jail at a police station. the opening panel showed Deadshot along with some other Squad member beating up some cops with Deadshot reiterating "No lethal force Waller doesn't want this mission to include dead cops".

      Delete
    2. really I appreciate this movie. even though JLU did a better job, DC kept it right where the more serious fan would stay keyed in and definitely want more.

      Was the Joker that guy or what? Dangerous, funny and crazy as shit. The Dark Knight did his thing and was clearly the bad ass superstar he is. But DC let the Squad headline the movie and we still knew it was Batman's show. Assault on Arkahm has made my top 5 full length animated movies list.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, she's pretty much perfect in every other way, the Waller from this cartoon. I think maybe they just went a little overboard making her "tough". And forgot that tough doesn't mean the character needs to change her basic moral beliefs. You're right, though, it doesn't really detract from the movie. It's one of the best DC animated shows for a while. From the animation on down.
    And they nailed Boomerang. I laughed my butt off when Deadshot cold clocked him in that bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Waller is always standing on moral ground even though it's a thin line she's walking. Also Waller is always 15 moves in front of everybody else, but Hell...that movie good.

      Delete
    2. Waller has always felt to me like the sanctioned version of Bats. Which is probably why they don't like each other much. Although like might be the wrong word. It's more of a "I know what you're doing and it's messing with what I'm doing" thing.

      Delete
  3. Dude I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Even, as my girl pointed out very little Batman in the movie. I think it was just the right amount, so as to let the 'Squad shine.

    Waller was fine for me here, no issue whatsoever. Just surprised the KGBeast got punked out like that though. I bet he wishes this was 1989 again, poor bastard;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, it sounds like every one has finally seen it, splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That it did. Like I said, damn good movie. Enjoyed it just as much as Son Of Batman. And like I've always said, any publicity for the 'Squad such as this movie, is a damn good thing for the Squad in general.
    Now.....where's that sequel? LOL

    ReplyDelete