Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Suicide Squad 20: new writer but same circus, same clowns


Left click to enlarge
I was browsing issue #20 at my local comic shop today and if you haven't been happy with this series so far there isn't anything in this issue to make you feel better I'm afraid. I'm really not too clear who the 2 new members are supposed to be and the story pretty much consisted of Waller and her new right hand man The Unknown Soldier brutalizing (yaaawn) and playing more mind games (zzzzzzzz) with the rest of the Squad. Somebody please wake me when it's over.
After more then a year and a half of disappointment I needed this issue to come out with guns blazing in the direction I've been wanting this series to go in. Despite two new characters being added to the roster, still no Bronze Tiger, no Nightshade, no Vertigo, no Rick Flag or even a return of Captain Boomerang into the story line.
It just seems like DC is just Hell bent on selling a Suicide Squad to the readers that looks next to nothing like the Squad of the old DCU. I'd say I was done with the Suicide Squad reboot but that's been the case for almost a year now. Issue 20 just might have been the first stone to pave my way back to actually buying this book again but that didn't turn out to be the case. I recommend you spare yourself more disappointment and save your $3 for a more worth while cause like helping out the Boston Marathon bombing victims: https://secure.onefundboston.org/page/contribute/default

5/9 Update: Ya know I really think at this point DC is just trying to find all sorts of ways to fuck over the Ostrander/McDonnel Squad as much as possible. I just found out DC is finally introducing a rebooted Bronze Tiger but as a "Thundercat".  Just go here to see the travesty of which I speak: http://thebronzetiger.blogspot.com/2013/05/defamation-of-character.html

10 comments:

  1. I haven't read #20 and I don't think I will. You say it's a circus, well the clown car doesn't stop there. The Bronze Tiger is about to re enter the DCU. Come over to my spot to see what they have in store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plug on helping the bombers victims Dave. I think that could almost be a sticker for all fans who arent getting the same buzz from their old favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and Tiger OA1 wasn't kidding about the clown car not stopping there. go over to the Tiger Cage i just don't have the words mate, i just don't have the words.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I went over and read it. I had to stop and compose myself or my entire rant would have been composed of bleeps.
      Seriously DC? I mean...SERIOUSLY?!!

      Delete
  3. I mean, even The New Frontier managed to get Flagg in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben. I got issue 20 this week, and thought that it wasn't bad actually. Granted, it's not like the good old days, sure. But it is a start, and at least that's something.

    Also, when I got my comic's this week, my mate told me about an interview he did with... errr... no. You like surprises. Check this out -- http://popculturehound.net/episode-39-ales-kot-john-ostrander-talk-suicide-squad/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for that link Jay i appreciate it. that podcast had it's interesting moments but not especially illuminating on why DC is doing the Suicide Squad the way their doing it. or what Ostrander thinks of it for that matter. although i did like how Ostrander basically likened his original Suicide Squad to The Dirty Dozen meets Mission Impossible. by the way the other gripe i had with #20 is that like most comics these days it was really light on text making it way too quick of a read. for my $3 (or in some cases $4) i don't want to be finished reading the issue before i finish my business when i'm on the can.

      Delete
  5. I wrote a rant here about how unhappy I am with DC and it didn't stick. Where is it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I was about Suicide Squad but it was about the other titles too.
    Did you know, that after 18 issues that what was a good character growing story, they just erased eveything that happened in Stormwatch?
    Puff?
    What's the point of spending my money in liking characters and plots if they will just erase everything everytime they go to the toilet?
    Way to go DC, but I'll buy Marvel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're such a trooper Aliera! i picked up a random Stormwatch issue that was given out for free at a comic shop about a month ago and i actually thought it wasn't bad. what you said that DC did with it totally doesn't surprise me i agree with what you said about your money. although speaking for myself i won't spend it on Marvel either. as for your missing comment i swear i didn't do anything but i don't think it ever made it to this posting in the first place i keep a pretty close eye on these things here.

      Delete