Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Some Killer advertisment and Ostrander on Hawkman

Left click to enlarge
So here are those ice villains fan art pieces I mentioned in my last posting. Between the plunging neckline of Killer Frost's dress and the Captain's freeze ray pistol if these two renderings from Deviant Art don't stop you cold then maybe you outta check your pulse.
Be sure to magnify these, for this fan art bigger really is better.

Left click to enlarge
In recent months I've been doing some research on comics I used to have. It turns out I had some stuff from John Ostrander I wasn't aware of at the time. As I mentioned before learning about the writers and artists behind the titles I used to read has only been a fairly recent occurrence. One of those titles was the early 90s Hawkman series Volume 3.
I had the first 9 issues. I really liked it a lot at first but I lost interest in it after issue 6. With the benefit of the internet now I can see that John Ostrander left the series and a new writer picked it up at issue 7. It's weird looking back, because if now the writing had taken such a turn for the worst in a series that I liked the first thing I would look for is to see if the same people/person are still working on the script. I suppose it's normal as you get older and somewhat more mature you start appreciating things in a different way too.

Next up, always bet on Bronze!

7 comments:

  1. Nice Killer Frost and Captain Cold art! Killer Frost is fucking hot, but then that's probably because I have a weakness for blue-skinned beauties. Yeah, I'm sick, I know:)

    I hear ya' on not appreciating things you used to have until you get older; I think that applies to a lot of things, but yeah comics too, most definitely.

    I didn't know Ostrander did Hawkman. This must have been around the same time or a little later as his Spectre series.

    Shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, man . . . I read your headling and, with Liefeld leaving DC a couple of weeks ago, thought John Ostrander was taking over Savage Hawkman. Sadly, not to be.

    And yeah, you have to get older to appreciate things you once owned and then got rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i guess that posting title could be a bit misleading sorry about that Gary. it's nice to see some other people being able to relate to my own comic book reading evolution thanks for the comments guys. my next posting is gonna be absolutely bad ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killer Frost is lovely, the sex symbol actress version is who I want to show up in the Squad at some point.

    Captain Cold is my man. I don't like the new Iceman version of Cold. To me it takes away half of his cool factor.

    I was reading Star Wars Legacy and didn't realize it was written by Ostrander as well. I think Legacy is the future of the Star Wars franchise. George needs to find someone to develope Syn and Blue in a way to become true supporting characters in the same vein as Han and Leia though.

    This Hawkman has a desent uniform, I like it. Hawman can never hold my interest for long no matter who writes him don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. some people love mint and chocolate i can't stand that combo i'm more of a peanut butter and chocolate kinda guy. it's like that with characters sometimes you can't put your finger on why some are cooler to you then others. we'll rest assured my friend my next posting will feature someone we both like very much and this time i'm not talking about Roy Harper for a change.

      Delete
  5. I always pick up sny Hawkman book in the hopes its going to do well but so many just try to fly with only half a wing. for me this one was to dark but it was the 90s so I held on. But it just seemed John wasnt having any fun writing a character DC didnt know what to do with. And still don't.

    Oh to know an ice maker in real life. Save a fortune on air con and never have to suffer warm beer again. Its win-win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well perhaps that had something to do with why he exited the series so early but i still gotta say i liked it when he was the writer. and at the time i didn't really make the Ostrander association the Squad. well Dan, Hopefully later he found somethin' more rewarding in life to apply his story telling to.

      Delete