Thursday, July 12, 2012

Suicide Squad #11 review: read it but didn't buy it


I read the first few pages of the issue online which you can do here if you care to: http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=4369  As for the rest of the issue I basically just browsed it on the shelf  but I felt uninspired to buy it. After The Squad's little "mid air accident" they find themselves washed ashore on some remote island where they encounter some primitive natives who proceed to have them as their guests. In return the natives get to watch and listen to The Squad bitch and fight amongst themselves pretty much till the end of the issue. It's basically Task Force X meets Danger Island from that late 70s kids show The Banana Splits. And unfortunately there's no sign of Yo-Yo in this issue which was the only thing of any interest in last month's issue given that he was about to kill Waller for having left him in King Shark's stomach.
So to no surprise from what I could see this was more of the same mediocrity I've come to expect of the Suicide Squad reboot. But never the less I should probably stop beating up on Adam Glass. Based on all that's been said I'd give Adam the benefit of the doubt that DC is not letting him do everything he may want to do with this book. He no doubt has seen the stuff I've been ranting about on this blog and has said that we're on the same side.
So it is quite possible want we want to see in the book may be also what he wants to see in the book. Of course I wouldn't expect Adam to show up here again and verify or deny all this. Pissing off the "bosses" at DC would probably not be in his best interest. After all being a writer for DC is part of his lively hood and as you can see from his Facebook profile the man does have a family to take care. But speaking for myself I still ain't spendin no money for a book that isn't enjoyable to read. In fact, if I was a betting man at this point I'd put my money on this title tanking faster then the U.S. housing market did in late 2008 if Harley Quinn were to make a sudden exit from the series.

Hey DC! Just bite down on your cyanide tooth and yell "hail Naga Naga" or "allha ackbar already". It's better then the slow death you're going through as of now.

11 comments:

  1. I see you're finally going the smart route, and just reading it online like the rest of us do Shlomo. Good for you man, you're catching on:)

    Sweet photo dub too!

    I'm trying to remember what Glass was attempting to do, i.e. his mission statement for the 'Squad during an interview he did w/ CBR, but I can't remember what that was. I highly doubt other than showcasing Harley Quinn, that he's followed any of that at all. This latest review just proves the title's a sinking ship that's promise has long since gone bye bye.

    Hey if I chip in to buy some cyanide capsules, do you think we can send them to Dildo Comics? I'm curious to see if there's anybody left up there with any honor or dignity:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I the only one still spending hundreds of dollars on comics and comic book paraphernalia? I feel like such a fool, especially since one of my favorite characters don't even have a book for me to buy. I thought about going digital but it's just something about holding the printed material and looking over the art work......woe is me, damn. I'm going to have to split my reading two ways. Buy my favorites and read the others over a computer screen or kindle. Where can I read the books guys, let your man know where to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i couldn't tell ya brother. i'm not even buying any new comics these days online or as ink on dead trees. like i did today and with my last posting i've been buying back issues from discount bins and just browsing at new issues.

      Dale, i'm thinking cyanide is too good for DC i wanna see em cut off their fingers like the Yakuza when they fuck up and have to make amends to their oyuban (mob boss.

      Delete
  3. OA Im with you. I still need the printed thing too. Glad Im not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here, here. Digital's good for those who want it, i.e. those damn young 'ens, but it'll always be print for me. It's what I grew up on, and what I'll stick to. I pray to god, that despite all the crappy comics out there, and the supposed 'death of the industry' talk, that printed comics will never stop. That's one change I'll never be ready for:(

    Shlom, cutting of their fingers is way too good for them; they just have more to use to make more crappy comics. Trust me, the word of the day is Cyanide:)

    Omega, I wish I knew offhand where to point you. Like everything else nowadays, I suggest googling comic download sites. I know there's special programs that allow you to do that, like Torrent, so go that route. Otherwise, I'd personally just stick to reading print. I'm with Shlomo, Goo, and Dan, as far as hitting the back issue bins. For those that are disenfranchised with today's product, I highly, highly suggest digging for back issue gold in order to relive those golden days of our youths. They wait there patiently for us to look for them, trust me on that:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shlomo, I do agree that you may want to lay off of Adam glass. It seems that he is not completely happy with the book himself. That can only be because he doesn't have complete control of the direction that the book is going in. That being said, with the direction that the book is going then maybe the book should have been called Harley Quinn featuring the Suicide Squad instead; since without her it's basically dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm not an unreasonable man LisaGemini1, which is why i've started directing my scorn at DC it's self instead of at Glass :) thanks for visiting.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with LisaGemini1!

      Delete
  6. Read the link you gave me, and while I think I read it before, re-reading it really seemed to sink in this time. Damn shame about the reboot though; if not for that, we might actually have a Suicide Squad we can all stomach.

    Speaking of, I was just re-reading that SS introspective from Wizard#192, and to quote John Ostrander himself concerning how he felt Amanda Waller should be written, he says "You can't write her as just a ruthless hardass and just leave it at that. Amanda does have a conscience, surprisingly. It's just that she does it anyway."

    I thought Glass and DC were Ostrander fans, yet when it came to doing things "there way" seemed to completely ignore this bit of important advice from the guy who's most associated w/her.

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dale, is Spiderman on the cover? also, do you have a hard copy or did you read it in some sort of electronic format?

      Delete
    2. "You can't write her as just a ruthless hardass and just leave it at that. Amanda does have a conscience, surprisingly. It's just that she does it anyway."

      And that was explicit in Ostrander's writing. She has a concience, but when she has a job to do, she will do what she has to in order to acomplish it either she likes it or not. That made me respect her even if I'd like her decisions or not. I miss her.

      Delete